House Committee Advances Anti-Economic Development & Tourism Bill
Next Stop, House Floor Vote
On February 21, the Florida House Appropriations Committee voted by a 18-12 margin to advance HB 7005, a bill that would end economic diversification efforts in Florida, including eliminating the economic development toolkit, international programs, marketing and small business assistance. Additionally, this bill cuts tourism marketing funding by 67 percent.
Despite overwhelming opposition from citizens in attendance and over 20,000 emails sent to lawmakers by Florida Chamber members opposing the bill, the conversation of eliminating Enterprise Florida and two dozen important programs will now move to the Florida House Floor.
The Florida Chamber believes the state must continue to fund initiatives that support diversifying the economy and attracting visitors and businesses to our state. HB 7005 has already generated national media attention and sends a signal that Florida’s state legislature is no longer an active partner in job creation, diversifying our economy, or supporting our important tourism sector.
Looking ahead, your efforts and comments will continue to be needed. So please, “stay tuned” for additional announcements on how you can help. We hope you will continue to join our fight to oppose any efforts to dismantle the state’s necessary and results-proven role in economic development and tourism marketing.
Thank These Legislators Who Supported Our Tourism Industry and Economic Diversification With Their Votes AGAINST HB 7005 Today:
- Rep. Jared Moskowitz (D-Coral Springs), Jared.Moskowitz@myfloridahouse.gov, (954) 346-2848
- Rep. Lori Berman (D-Boynton Beach), email@example.com, (561) 374-7850
- Rep. Bobby DuBose (D-Fort Lauderdale), Bobby.DuBose@myfloridahouse.gov, (954) 467-4206
- Rep. Katie Edwards (D-Sunrise), Katie.Edwards@myfloridahouse.gov, (954) 838-1372
- Rep. Bill Hager (R-Boca Raton), firstname.lastname@example.org, (561) 470-6607
- Rep. Shev Jones (D-West Park), Shevrin.Jones@myfloridahouse.gov, (954) 893-5010
- Rep. Kionne McGhee (D-Cutler Bay), Kionne.McGhee@myfloridahouse.gov, (305) 256-6301
- Rep. Holly Raschein (R-Key Largo), Holly.Raschein@myfloridahouse.gov, (305) 453-1202
- Rep. David Richardson (D-Miami Beach), David.Richardson@myfloridahouse.gov, (305) 535-5426
- Rep. Cynthia Stafford (D-Opa Locka), email@example.com, (305) 953-3086
- Rep. Richard Stark (D-Weston), Richard.Stark@myfloridahouse.gov, (954) 217-0287
- Rep. Charlie Stone (R-Ocala), Charlie.Stone@myfloridahouse.gov, (352) 291-4436
Send Your Concerns to These Legislators Who Opposed Our Tourism Industry and Economic Diversification With Their Votes FOR HB 7005 Today:
- Rep. Carlos Trujillo (R-Doral), firstname.lastname@example.org or (305) 470-5070
- Rep. George Moraitis (R-Ft. Lauderdale), email@example.com or (954) 762-3757
- Rep. Larry Ahern (R-Seminole), firstname.lastname@example.org, (727) 395-2512
- Rep. Ben Albritton (R-Bartow), email@example.com, (863) 534-0073
- Rep. Michael Bileca (R-Miami), firstname.lastname@example.org, (305) 273-3235
- Rep. Jason Brodeur (R-Sanford), email@example.com, (407) 302-4800
- Rep. Janet Cruz (D-Tampa), firstname.lastname@example.org, (813) 673-4673
- Rep. Travis Cummings (R-Orange Park), Travis.Cummings@myfloridahouse.gov, (904) 278-5761
- Rep. Jose Felix “Pepi” Diaz (R-Miami), email@example.com, (305) 442-6800
- Rep. Manny Diaz (R-Hialeah Gardens), Manny.Diaz@myfloridahouse.gov, (305) 364-3072
- Rep. Blaise Ingoglia (R-Spring Hill), Blaise.Ingoglia@myfloridahouse.gov, (352) 688-5004
- Rep. Clay Ingram (R-Pensacola), firstname.lastname@example.org, (850) 494-7330
- Rep. Larry Metz (R-Groveland), email@example.com, (352) 989-9134
- Rep. Jeanette Nunez (R-Miami), firstname.lastname@example.org, (305) 227-7630
- Rep. Jose Oliva (R-Hialeah), email@example.com, (305) 364-3114
- Rep. Elizabeth Porter (R-Lake City), firstname.lastname@example.org, (386) 719-4600
- Rep. Ray Rodrigues (R-Fort Myers), Ray.Rodrigues@myfloridahouse.gov, (239) 433-6501
- Rep. Chris Sprowls (R-Clearwater), Chris.Sprowls@myfloridahouse.gov, (727) 793-2810
As indicated below, HB 7005 goes to the House Floor for it’s next vote.