Senate President Joe Negron Names Nine Constitution Revision Commission Appointees
This morning, Florida Senate President Joe Negron (R-Stuart) appointed nine members to the upcoming Constitution Revision Commission (CRC), a Florida-only committee that has the ability to place constitutional amendments directly on the ballot. Sen. Negron’s appointees are:
- Don Gaetz, Former Senate President
- Anna Marie Hernandez Gamez, Attorney
- Patricia Levesque, CEO of the Foundation for Excellence in Education (ExcelinEd)
- Sherry Plymale, Former Chair of the State Board of Community Colleges
- William “Bill” Schifino, Jr., President of The Florida Bar for the 2016-2017 term
- Chris Smith, Former State Senator
- Bob Solari, Indian River County Commissioner
- Jacqui Thurlow-Lippisch, Former Teacher and Mayor of Sewall’s Point.
- Carolyn Timmann, Clerk of the Circuit Court and Comptroller of Martin County
These nine individuals will join:
- Attorney General Pam Bondi
- Hank Coxe, Attorney and Former Bar President
- Arthenia Joyner, Former State Senator
- Roberto Martinez, Former U.S. Attorney
There are 24 other as-yet unnamed appointees in this important body, slated to come from Governor Rick Scott and House Speaker Richard Corcoran.
“It is clearly evident how much thought Senator Negron has put into his CRC selections. He has chosen some great individuals who understand what Florida needs to secure its future and who have worked for years to make Florida a better place. The Florida Chamber of Commerce congratulates Senator Negron and thanks him for his appointees.”
Marian Johnson, Senior Vice President of Political Strategy, Florida Chamber of Commerce
Take Action Now
To learn more about the CRC, including biographical information about the individual appointees as they are announced, click here.
Florida Chamber Endorses 14 Pro-Business, Pro-Jobs Candidates for the Florida House and Senate
TALLAHASSEE, FL (July 6, 2016) – The Florida Chamber of Commerce today announces 14 candidate endorsements in competitive races for the Florida House and Senate, and congratulates candidates elected without opposition.
Today’s latest round of endorsements is part of a larger Florida Chamber effort to help elect pro-jobs, pro-business candidates that support private-sector job creation and economic growth. Additional endorsements are forthcoming.
“Now, more than ever, Florida needs leaders in the Florida Legislature that will ensure the long-term needs of Florida’s families and small businesses are placed before short-term political fixes and special interest agendas,” said Marian Johnson, Senior Vice President of Political Operations for the Florida Chamber of Commerce.
Candidates endorsed today include:
- Senator Bill Montford
- Senator Travis Hutson
- Senator Jack Latvala
- Senator Jeff Brandes
- Senator Joe Negron
- Senator Rene Garcia
- Senator Anitere Flores
- Senator Dorothy Hukill
Florida House of Representatives:
- Representative Blaise Ingoglia
- Representative Ross Spano
- Representative Larry Ahern
- Representative Gayle Harrell
- Representative Jose Oliva
- Representative Bryan Avila
Endorsed incumbent candidates were evaluated on numerous factors, including their historical grades on the Florida Chamber’s Legislative Report Card. Additionally, the Florida Chamber Political Institute (FCPI) has hosted candidate interview sessions across Florida – interviewing more than 100 non-incumbent candidates.
Floridians can learn more about each candidate, key election dates and polling locations by visiting www.FloridaWins.org.
The Florida Chamber also congratulates Florida Chamber-backed candidates that were recently elected without opposition:
Florida House of Representatives:
- Representative Halsey Beshears (R-HD 7)
- Representative Cyndi Stevenson (R-HD 17)
- Representative Clovis Watson (D-HD 20)
- Representative Larry Metz (R-HD 32)
- Representative Richard Corcoran (R-HD 37)
- Representative Danny Burgess (R-HD 38)
- Representative Cary Pigman (R-HD 55)
- Representative Jake Raburn (R-HD 57)
- Representative James Grant (R-HD 64)
- Representative Dane Eagle (R-HD 77)
- Representative Larry Lee, Jr. (D-HD 84)
- Representative Bill Hager (R-HD 89)
- Representative Jim Boyd (R-HD 71)
- Senator Joseph Abruzzo (D-HD 81)
- Representative Bobby DuBose (D-HD 94)
- Senator Aaron Bean (R-SD 4)
- Senator David Simmons (R-SD 9)
- Senator Wilton Simpson (R-SD10)
- Senator Tom Lee (R-SD 20)
- Senator Bill Galvano (R-SD 21)
- Senator Denise Grimsley (R-SD 26)