The Florida Chamber Foundation commissioned KPMG Peat Marwick to develop strategies that will make the most of international economic opportunities and position Florida as a major international competitor. It is an outgrowth of Cornerstone: Foundations for Economic Leadership, published in 1989, which provided the basis for domestic state policy initiatives.
The project team consisted of representatives of KPMG, and a volunteer leadership group of Florida business executives and economic development professionals. We believe that this report offers a framework for business and state policy makers to build a solid foundation for Florida’s becoming a crossroads economy supported by knowledge-based and Florida-made industry and world class services.
Our purpose is to offer strategies to:
- Improve the ability of Florida firms to do international business
- Increase the number of Florida firms active in the international economy
- Promote exports of Florida made goods and services
- Increase the amount of foreign direct investment in the state
- Improve the state’s image overseas as a place to do business