Weathering the Storms: Irma, AOB, Workers’ Comp, and the Work That Lies Ahead
Florida’s legislative leaders, insurance executives, and political insiders came to together to address workers’ compensation, Assignment of Benefits, CAT Fund and other crucial issues facing insurers, business leaders and consumers. Register today for the Florida Chamber of Commerce’s 2017 Insurance Summit.
Thursday, November 2
Registration Opens Ι 11:00 a.m. Sponsored by Pinnacle Actuarial Resources
Dessert Reception Ι 1:00 – 1:30 p.m. Sponsored by Thomas Howell Ferguson, P.A., CPA
Welcome Remarks and State of Florida’s Future Ι 1:30 p.m.
- David Hart, Executive Vice President, Florida Chamber of Commerce
View from the CFO’s Office: How Florida is Rising to the Challenges it Faces Ι 1:45 – 2:05 p.m.
- The Honorable Jimmy Patronis, Chief Financial Officer, State of Florida
Protecting Consumers in the Claims Process: What They Need and Why They Can’t Get It Ι 2:05 – 2:40 p.m.
- Michael Carlson, President, Personal Insurance Federation of Florida (moderator)
- The Honorable Dorothy Hukill, Florida Senate
- Barry Gilway, Chief Executive Officer, Citizens Property Insurance Corporation
AOB: The Problem – and the Solutions – Are Clear! Ι 2:40 – 3:15 p.m.
- Liz Reynolds, State Affairs Director, SE Region, National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (moderator)
- Arthur Randolph, Principal and Consulting Actuary, Pinnacle Actuarial Resources
- William Large, President, Florida Justice Reform Institute
- Jon Ritchie, Senior Vice President of Operations, American Integrity Insurance Company of Florida
- Wesley Todd, Chief Executive Office, CaseGlide
Break Ι 2:40 – 3:15 p.m. Sponsored by Association of Bermuda Insurers and Reinsurers and Reinsurance Association of America
Catastrophe Losses of 2017: A Reinsurance Market Perspective Ι 3:30 – 3:50 p.m.
- Andy Marcell, President, Aon Benfield
Still Strong After Irma: An Update on Florida’s Hurricane Catastrophe Fund Ι 3:50 – 4:25 p.m.
- Jack Nicholson, Ph.D., Research Faculty I and Director of the Florida Catastrophic Storm Risk Management Center, College of Business, Florida State University (moderator)
- Ash Williams, Executive Director and CIO, State Board of Administration
Free Market Solution to Comp and AOB Problems Ι 4:25 – 4:40 p.m.
- Dan Peterson, Director, Center for Property Rights, James Madison Institute
The Regulator’s Report: Key Trends in Florida’s Insurance Markets Ι 4:40 – 5:00 p.m.
- David Altmaier, Commissioner, Florida Office of Insurance Regulation
“Tropical Oasis” Networking Reception Ι 5:00 – 6:30 p.m. Sponsored by Personal Insurance Federation of Florida
Dinner on Your Own Ι 6:30 p.m.
Friday, November 3
Breakfast Ι 7:30 – 8:30 a.m. Sponsored by American Integrity Insurance
Managing an Epic Storm: Florida’s Response to Hurricane Irma Ι 8:30 – 9:00 a.m.
- Stephen Weinstein, Senior Vice President & General Counsel, Renaissance Holdings, Ltd. (moderator)
- Bryan Koon, Former Director, Florida Division of Emergency Management
Understanding Irma: It Could Have Been Much Worse Ι 9:00 – 9:40 a.m.
- Ron Bartlett, Managing Director, Hill + Knowlton Strategies (moderator)
- Karen Clark, Co-founder and Chief Executive Officer, Karen Clark & Company
- Dan Dick, Executive Managing Director, Aon Benfield
Florida’s Future: A Reinsurance Perspective Ι 9:40 – 10:00 a.m.
- Justin O’Keefe, Senior Vice President, Chief Underwriting Officer–Property, RenaissanceRe
AOB Debate: Why Rate Roll Backs Are Not the Solution and More Data Is Not Needed Ι 10:00 – 10:30 a.m.
- Josh Aubuchon, Attorney, Holland & Knight (moderator)
- Jack Nicholson, Ph.D., Research Faculty I and Director of the Florida Catastrophic Storm Risk Management Center, College of Business, Florida State University
- Christian Camara, Southeast Region Director, R Street Institute
Break Ι 10:30 – 10:45 a.m. Sponsored by Florida Justice Reform Institute
What’s Next for Florida’s Workers’ Comp System? Ι 10:45 – 11:45 a.m.
- Carolyn Johnson, Director of Business, Economic Development and Innovation Policy, Florida Chamber of Commerce (moderator)
- Marc Salm, Vice President, Risk Management, Publix Super Markets
- Debra Cerre-Ruedisili, CEO, Florida Citrus, Business & Industries Fund
- Bruce Fox, Vice President and General Counsel, Main Street America Group
The View From Tallahassee: Senior Elected Leaders Address AOB and Workers’ Comp Ι 11:45 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Mark Wilson, President and CEO, Florida Chamber of Commerce (moderator)
Closing Remarks and Box Lunch “To Go” Ι 12:30 p.m. Sponsored by Florida Realtors
- Mark Wilson, President and CEO, Florida Chamber of Commerce