Polls across Florida have closed, and the votes are in.
At the Florida Chamber of Commerce, we’ll be working through the night to provide a detailed analysis of all 2016 races for the Florida House and Florida Senate. We look forward to sharing a more complete analysis with you tomorrow.
Tonight, we’re pleased to share that, 74 of the 77 Florida Chamber-backed candidates endorsed in the General Election won. The Florida Chamber looks forward to welcoming all 160 legislators to Tallahassee in two weeks for Organizational Session and the beginning of discussions to fix Florida’s workers’ compensation system.
Although analysis will continue throughout the night, here are a few noteworthy stats:
- Two-thirds of Florida voters voted before Election Day,
- Florida trial lawyers invested at least $14.6 million this election cycle, and
- Unions invested at least $7.3 million – all in an effort to make Florida less competitive.
During this election cycle, the Florida Chamber’s Political Operation Team:
- Interviewed more than 200 candidates for the Florida House and Senate,
- Endorsed 89 candidates in competitive primary races,
- Endorsed 77 candidates in competitive General Election races,
- Endorsed 21 candidates that won without qualified opposition,
- Won 76 of 89 primary election races, and
- Won 74 of 77 General Election races.
Based on the most recent election results:
- Amendment 1 failed to meet the required 60 percent voter support to pass,
- Amendment 2 passed by more than 71 percent,
- Amendment 3 passed with 84 percent, and
- Amendment 5 passed with 78 percent.
Congratulations to tonight’s General Election winners, and stay tuned for a more complete analysis tomorrow.