Florida House Subcommittee Passes Prejudgment Interest Bill; Contact These Florida Representatives Today
The Florida House Civil Justice & Claims Subcommittee today voted by an 11-4 margin to advance HB 469 relating to Prejudgment Interest. Sponsored by Rep. Shawn Harrison (R-Tampa), the Florida Chamber opposes this bill because:
- Prejudgment Interest will further increase the cost of litigation;
- Allows for interest on damages that have not yet been determined by the court as payable or reasonable, including attorney fees;
- Will force businesses into a “sue and settle” posture because of delays in the court system and increased costs; and
- Penalizes the defendant for defending cases that might not be legitimate.
Please click here to THANK the following lawmakers for voting against HB 469:
- Rep. Jay Fant (R-Jacksonville)
- Rep. Colleen Burton (R-Lakeland)
- Rep. George Moraitis (R- Ft. Lauderdale)
- Rep. Frank White (R-Pensacola)
Please click here to share your concerns with the following lawmakers, who voted to support HB 469:
- Rep. Heather Fitzenhagen (R-Ft. Myers)
- Rep. Erin Grall (R-Vero Beach)
- Rep. Shawn Harrison (R-Tampa)
HB 469 has two committee stops remaining, before heading the House Floor.