Insurance Reform and Competition
Businesses looking to create more jobs in Florida or relocate to our state thoroughly evaluate a state’s attractiveness and competitiveness before making their decisions. Creating a competitive business climate is essential in Florida’s efforts to become the number one job creator in the nation. While Florida is moving in the right direction, we must maintain forward momentum to break down barriers to free enterprise.
Improved Property Insurance System
SB 1770, HB 909 (Rep Wood), HB 7093 (Rep. Nelson), SB 1046 (Sen. Brandes), HB 635 (Rep. Edwards) – Passed, Signed by Governor on May 29, 2013
Fixing Florida’s broken property insurance system to reduce taxpayer risk in the event of a catastrophic storm is a step in the right direction. This effort creates a roadmap to help return Citizens Property Insurance Corporation back to the insurer of last resort by reducing the number of policies in Citizens and placing them in the private insurance market instead.
There’s plenty of evidence that Florida is on the right track to becoming more competitive, but a few systemic issues are holding Florida back from becoming the nation’s permanent leader in job creation.
For a more competitive business climate, the fight for free enterprise continues. Instead of short-term quick fixes, the Florida Chamber is focused on long-term solutions to grow the private-sector and help small businesses and families.
Right-Sizing Underfunded Hurricane Fund
Reforming Florida’s broken property insurance system by right-sizing the Florida Hurricane Catastrophe Fund reduces the need for hurricane taxes on businesses, homeowners, charities, churches and automobile policyholders.
- 2013 Legislative Summary (PDF Document)
- News: Some Progress, But Hurricane Insurance Battle Continues (PDF Document)
- News: Representative Bill Hager: Pass BIll to Stabilize CAT Fund (PDF Document)
- One-Pager: Insurance Reform and Competition (PDF Document)
- Florida Chamber Insurance Coalition
- Letter to Chairman Simmons: Florida Chamber Response to Your Request for Solutions (PDF Document)
- Into the Storm: Framing Florida’s Looming Property Insurance Crisis (PDF Document)
- Where We Stand
- How They Voted
- Legislative Report Card
- The Florida Scorecard