FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Florida Chamber of Commerce: Edie Ousley
Florida Chamber Ramps Up Political Operations Makes Strategic Hires, Promotions, and Introduces New Candidate School
TALLAHASSEE, FL (June 1, 2020) – Elections matter, and with Florida’s ever-changing political landscape, the Florida Chamber of Commerce is ramping up its Political Operations program by making strategic hires and promotions, and introducing a non-partisan candidate school aimed at recruiting better candidates for the more than 4,500 electable positions through 2025.
KEY STAFFING UPDATES:
- Nick Catroppo has been named to the newly created Vice President of Political Operations position. Catroppo has nearly a decade of experience advising government officials and candidates on political and policy matters, and leading successful political campaigns at the local, state and federal levels.
- Marian Johnson continues to serve as Executive Director of the Florida Chamber Political Institute. Marian is a veteran political expert, and no one in Florida has garnered the type of respect on both sides of the political spectrum for her ability to recruit and elect candidates.
- Andrew Wiggins has been promoted to Senior Director, Political Affairs and Coalitions Advocacy. The Florida Chamber is known for building coalitions and unifying Florida around the issues that will make Florida more competitive. Andrew’s expanded role will help advance policy and political issues in an ever-changing political landscape.
- Alex Coelho continues to serve as the Florida Chamber Data Director. He previously served as Data Director for the Michigan Republican Party, and has extensive experience in Florida politics. His knowledge of Florida’s ever-changing elector, helps the Florida Chamber achieve its policy goals.
KEY PROGRAM UPDATES;
- Florida Chamber Political Institute: The Florida Chamber’s candidate recruitment efforts are actively underway, and is expected to interview more than 50 candidates prior to announcing endorsements.
- Florida Institute for Political Leadership: FIPL is a new, non-partisan statewide program designed to recruit, train and guide people by providing leadership and training opportunities to get better candidates across Florida. For more information, visit www.fipl.org.
Part of its planned 2025 strategic planning efforts, the ramped up Political Operations builds on 100 years of team campaign experience, and winning records, including:
- Recruiting and winning 92 percent of statewide political races in the last 10 years, and
- Raising over $19 million to elect pro-business candidates and advance pro-jobs issues during the 2018 elections cycle.
On Nick Catroppo’s hiring, David Hart, Florida Chamber Executive Vice President said: “I’m excited to welcome the extraordinary talents of Nick Catroppo to our Political Operations team. His experience at running and winning campaigns in Florida for candidates who believe in free enterprise makes him the perfect choice to build upon our past successes and lead to future success and victories over the next several election cycles.”
Catroppo has nearly a decade of experience advising government officials and candidates on political and policy matters, and leading successful political campaigns at the local, state and federal levels. He has led and served on numerous campaigns for a variety of candidates, including Attorney General Ashley Moody, Representative James Buchanan, and former Congressmen David Jolly and Richard Nugent.
“Over the years, the Chamber has proven to be the unifying force in Florida politics, and I’m honored to return to my home state and join this incredible, growing program. From the start, my focus will be on uniting our business community and leading the Chamber’s political victories into the 2020 Election cycle, especially during such challenging and unprecedented times,” said Nick Catroppo.
Catroppo received a political science degree from the University of South Florida, and will join the team later this month.
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING:
Attorney General Ashley Moody: “Nick has a wealth of experience in politics earning the trust and respect of his colleagues in state and federal government. He will be a great asset to the Florida Chamber and its members.”
Senate President Designate Wilton Simpson: “Nick is a great choice to lead the political operations at the Florida Chamber going into the 2020 election cycle and beyond. He has an impressive resume of accomplishments in the political arena that will only continue to grow in this new capacity. Nick and his wife, Amanda, have deep roots in Florida which I know will help him better serve the Florida Chamber and its members. I look forward to working with Nick, and the entire team at the Florida Chamber, to support our business community, create jobs, grow our economy and Relaunch Florida.”
Congressman Vern Buchanan: “The Florida Chamber unifies Florida’s business community behind the right candidates and the right issues and Nick Catroppo has the experience and pro-business focus to make sure the right things happen in Florida”.
The Florida Chamber of Commerce is the voice of business and the state’s largest federation of employers, chambers of commerce and associations aggressively representing small and large businesses from every industry and every region. The Florida Chamber works within all branches of government to affect those changes set forth in the annual Florida Business Agenda, and which are seen as critical to secure Florida’s future. The Florida Chamber works closely with its Florida Political Operations and the Florida Chamber Foundation. Visit www.FloridaChamber.com for more information.