Florida Chamber Political Institute
The Florida Chamber Political Institute (FCPI), the research-based arm of the Chamber’s political operations department, understands that the candidate selection process is vital. Our engagement efforts begin by recruiting and electing pro-business, pro-jobs candidates, chosen by rigorous candidate interview sessions — Florida’s most thorough and well-respected pro-business candidate review processes. FCPI travels statewide and interviews hundreds of new candidates — in addition to reviewing each candidate’s completed questionnaire. Incumbent candidates are evaluated on a rigorous set of factors, including legislator grades on the voting records. This helps the Florida Chamber advocate for candidates who have Florida’s future as a priority.
In 2014, the Florida Chamber engaged in 29 primary election races and 62 general election candidate races for House and Senate and invested a record $7 million in political activity. Well-funded special interest groups continue to fight for less competitive policies — and the Florida Chamber’s Political team continues to fight back. With all 40 state senate seats on the ballot, we expect to invest even more in this election cycle.
Political Assistance Provided to FCPI Members Includes:
- Identifying, educating and training future candidates
- Interviewing all candidates running for office
- Conducting political research that reflects pro-business causes and candidates
- Hosting briefings to keep members abreast of issue trends and candidate viability
- Providing training to executive lobbyists
- Offering political counsel and recommendations to Florida businesses
- Polling Florida voters to identify views and trends
- Offering customized and specialized issue research
Florida Chamber Political Institute Advisory Council
- Mike Bjorklund (Chair), Florida Electric Cooperatives Association
- Jennifer Green, Liberty Partners of Tallahassee, LLC
- Adam Basford, Florida Farm Bureau
- Bob Asztalos, Florida Health Care Association
- Mark Delegal, Holland and Knight
- Kim McGlynn, Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney
- Rheb Harbison, Capitol Insights, Inc.
- Tom Pennekamp, SunTrust
Become a Member of the Florida Chamber Political Institute
Contact Marian Johnson at 850. 521.1241 to find out how you can join us in the arena and help our state remain competitive.